The Phantom’s Theatre

There have been four theatres on this site since 1705, and Her Majesty’s Theatre is currently home to Andrew Lloyd Webber’s The Phantom of the OperaThe first theatre on the site was named The Queen’s Theatre (for Queen Anne), and it was where Italian opera was brought to England for the first time when Handel conducted his opera Rinaldo. In 1892, the third theatre built on the site was demolished, and the new Her Majesty’s Theatre was opened in 1897 by the famous Actor-Manager Sir Herbert Beerbohm Tree to house his spectacular productions of Shakespeare and other literary adaptations. Over the years, the theatre’s productions have included George Bernard Shaw’s Pygmalion in 1914, and many successful musicals including Brigadoon (1949), Paint Your Wagon (1953), West Side Story (1958), Bye Bye Birdie (1961), and Fiddler On The Roof (1967). The Phantom of the Opera opened at Her Majesty’s Theatre on 9 October 1986, and there have been more than 10,000 performances since. Celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2011, The Phantom of the Opera is the second-longest running musical on the West End (Les Misérables celebrated its 25th year in 2010).