Leadenhall Market is an active and busy marketplace located in the City of London. Its history can be traced back as a center for trade since the Romans occupied London during the first century. A Roman basilica and forum once stood on the site where the market actually stands today. During the 14th century, a meat and fish market occupied a series of courts within the Manor of Leadenhall which belonged to Sir Hugh Neville. The area became a popular meeting place for the poultry and cheese trade, and by the 1400s a market was established. In 1411, Lord Mayor, Richard Whittington, acquired and gifted Leadenhall to the City of London, and the site grew in importance as a center for commerce. By the 1600s, the market provided the sale of poultry, grain, eggs, butter, cheese, herbs, wool, leather, and cutlery. In 1666 Leadenhall Market largely escaped the great fire of London, and in 1881, the market was redesigned by architect, Sir Horace Jones. The new design featured the wrought iron details and glass-roofed buildings that you see today. In 1991, the market underwent another extensive restoration, and Leadenhall Market continues to be a popular and attractive place to shop, dine, or to simply stroll through. Harry Potter fans may recognize Leadenhall Market as one of the locations used to represent the fictional Diagon Alley in the film version of ‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone’ (2001).
- Leadenhall Market
- London EC3V 1LR
- Underground: Bank or Monument